Slashcode Log In
How We Upgraded Slashcode.com
The first thing we did was create a site called bender.slashcode.com with the install tool. The next thing was to correct our own info on the original site. In one case Cliff had an author name that was different from his user name, I corrected that. I also removed everyone who was in the author table that did not actually have any stories posted (this wasn't completly needed, but it allowed me to do some cleanup). Next, I did this to make a copy of our data:
Now, I created an additional DBIx virtual user on our DB box just for converting tables. I dumped the data in that database using:mysqldump -u slash -p slash > datadump.sql
Then, I ran the script down in utils called convertDBfrommain2bender.pl with the correct virtual user for the table. Once this was done I dumped the data back out via:mysql -u -p slash < datadump.sql
After that I just needed to insert that data back into our slashcode.com site.mysqldump -u slash -p slash --complete-insert --no-create-info > datadump
Now, while I was converting data, pudge took to editing the templates in our install to make the generic site look like slashcode. We also did a select on the blocks table and copied all of those over to the new site (we did our original install with all plugins except BunchaBlocks).
Now we had to put our old comments back into the database. Sitting in the utils directory is a script Cliff wrote called slashcode-dearchive. We used it to load our comments back into the database.
After we had tested this for a while, we changed DNS and updated the variables in the vars table, via the admin interface, to point to slashcode.com (since we were testing with bender.slashcode.com, initially). Just to warn you, these are a few things that could have tripped us up, here, but didn't, so be careful! Note that the size of a story id (SID) has changed, if you used especially long ones for your pollbooths then you will need to change those by hand (it was changed for performance reasons, FYI).
As I mentioned authors are not longer seperate from users, make sure your author and user names match up. If you moved the anonymous user to a user id (UID) different then -1 you will need to make sure the account has a security level (SECLEV) of 0 (users now have a SECLEV of 1). Also, by default the upgrade procedure assumes that UID 1 is free, if it is not you are going to have to massage your data a bit.
My guess is that if you have changed around the way your comments are displayed, or have made any other like changes which modified the look and feel of them, that Cliff's script is going to fail. Pudge lucked out with use.perl.org since when he set it up, he set it up to never archive comments. On a side note: when we move Slashdot we will be using a different comment system, the one in current use wouldn't handle Slashdot (and yes there will be a script to convert to the new comment system). Journal and LadyBug will be using the new comment system once I am finished and have committed it them.
I am sure as people start to upgrade they are going to have other insights into how they went about the upgrade and exactly what they had to do. I hope our experience is helpful for you. On a side note it took about 5 minutes for the DB convert script to convert Slashdot's own data (yes, I have tried it and it does work). Thats a lot of data, but it went fine.